Ahhhh formal coolers. Another form of torture us sorority girls like to submit ourselves to. I have made three, yes THREE, for my boyfriend so I would say I am a bit of a cooler connoisseur (insert sly smile). Anyways I am always looking for new ideas so I figured that everyone else was too! First I am going to list some quick tips!
- Choose a smooth and flat cooler! Igloo Island Breeze are the BOMB. Literally love them. They are like $15-20 at Walmart!
- Sand your cooler EVERYWHERE. Use sandpaper, an electric sander, a nail file, something! Paint will not stick to an unsnapped cooler. Especially sand the top. For some reason thats where paint loves to chip
- Now prime. I personally love the primer and paint combo spray can but as long as it says it will bond to plastic then you are good to go!
- Time to paint! You can use any acrylic paint. I don’t have any personal favorites. Make sure to pick up some paint pens. They are a lifesaver! A black and white one are essential! And honestly the more expensive ones are better. The cheap ones tend to glop up and don’t go on evenly.
- Now that your cooler is looking good, it is time to seal. I just use a clear sealant spray can. I give it a couple coats and its ready to go! Some people suggest mod-podging it first, but I don’t find this necessary
And here is my most recent finished product! I’ll post a gallery with my older ones soon!