(This is all in good fun.) So now you’re at college and you have discovered this new shiny thing called Greek life and it’s all parties and sisters and fun, fun, fun. However you are not only learning new words such as darty, date party and standards, but also Lily Pulitzer, Vineyard Vines and Southern Tide. It takes you about a year to assimilate to these new things but you do it with a smile on your face and new Jack Rogers squeezing on your feet. You didn’t know that you could conform so easily to srattiness but somehow you became the poster girl for Ralph Lauren Polo without even knowing. Don’t worry it happens to a lot of girls after living, breathing and eating being a sorority girl. It happened to me. (as if you couldn’t tell by my little scenario above.) I wasn’t preppy at all in high school but when I arrived to college and joined a sorority I felt that the prep life appealed to me. Soon I wanted to share my new knowledge of fashion with everyone. I wanted preppiness to seep into other parts of my life. So my family became my first victims, ahhhemm, willing participants:
- Dress preppy around them. I know you may say “Jessica! That’s crazy! Just wear the clothes I have around my family?” Yes. Do it.
- Give them croakies. These things are wild to people outside of Greek life. You’ll have to explain that, ‘No it’s not a broken headband and yes you do where your sunglasses like a necklace.’ Think of it as another accessory.
- Start monogramming everything. (Like you don’t already do that.) Soon they’ll catch on that you’re not just trying to make sure everyone knows what’s yours but that monograms are actually trendy.
- Take mom shopping with you. Mom’s can’t resist cute stuff just like their daughters. I took mine to J.Crew for the first time and now she can’t stop buying from J.Crew Factory online. Success.
- Get the siblings on board. As the people that are actually closest to you in age, they are the most susceptible to your evil genius. Because you’re awesome now they totally want to be like you, just give them a Frat Collection t-shirt and they’ll be hooked.