As I sit in this adorable coffee shop in Lexington, KY, avoiding all the things I really need to do and the rain (oh the rain!), I thought I would finally give everyone a life update. It’s been awhile and I’m actually quite sad because blogging has been the one thing I really do 100% for enjoyment. Well let’s see… I graduated! WHOOP! Finally I may actually be considered an adult (though I don’t feel like one and am not sure when I will, thoughts?) I have moved back to Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati and am so happy to be back in my hometown once again. Unfortunately, I was not accepted into Medical School this cycle and while this has immensely disappointed me, I am not discouraged! I am currently volunteering in the hospital and have applied for research positions! If anyone is out there who has been in the situation I would love to hear your experience! I have come to find out that taking a gap year is far from unusual and is actually more common then getting in the first round! I am definitely going to blog about my journey to give encouragement to those who may be in my position or who are in the process of applying to med-school now!
Now for some fun. I went to Hilton Head Island for the FIRST time. For all you east coasters I know this is a SHOCK, everyone seems to go there, right? At least everyone in my area does. Anyway I loved it and it was such a beautiful vacation spot. I know we are going there next year and I would love some suggestions for restaurants etc. from you lovely people! Here are some photos of our day trip to Savannah:
Shirt / J. Crew (similar)
Necklace / Charming Charlie (similar)
Skirt / Versona (Similar and shorts)
Hat / Amazon
Sandals / Michael Kors
SO EXCITED to be collaborating with eShakti this week. eShakti is this unique little online shop that specializes in customization. They have stylish and trendy clothes that can be tailored exactly to your measurements! Perfect for women like me that might not fit perfectly into standard sizes. Customization further includes sleeve length, neck line, hem length and more. You can make all their apparel fit your style and flatter what suits you best! Seriously, I’m obsessed. Why can’t more stores be like this?
So let’s talk about this amazing dress. Kelly green plaid caught my eye as soon as I saw it and I just had to have it! I know plaid is normally an autumn/winter kind of thing but this bright green transcends right into spring! Plus it has pockets! I am a total sucker for pockets! I just can’t wait to rock it at the horse race track! I lengthened the sleeve so it would be more comfortable for cool spring weather and chose to have the hem hit right above my knee. I felt that this dress gave off a retro vibe, almost like something I would find on Modcloth, so I paired the dress with suede shoes, cat eye sunglasses ($10 steal from TJ Maxx!) and a bold red lip.
I love that for a shop that customizes (at no extra cost!) the clothes are so affordable! Most are under $100! I lined out some of my current favorites that are definitely on my wishlist and surely will be on yours too! Use code : citybelles for an extra 10% off your order (which can be included with any other discount codes!)
Orange Ruffle Hem Top // $64.95
Chambray Off the Shoulder Top // $39.95
Windowpane Dress // $94.95
Red Midi Skirt // $79.95
** I was given this dress in exchange for my personal product review. I assert all opinions and thoughts are my own.
A Kentucky girl can never have too much blue! Seriously the number of blue dresses I have is kinda alarming. That being said I am always looking out for another one to add to my collection, and who isn’t with all the tailgating there is to do? Luckily I was able to team up with Gameday Belles Boutique and try out the beautiful Ansley dress. I love the flowiness of this dress and the pretty white accent bow. Plus its always a bonus when the dress pairs perfectly with my cowboy boots! This outfit makes me wish it was football season and I was out tailgating before the game. Super comfortable + super cute = a win for me (on and off the field!)
Gameday Belles has a variety of AH-DOR-ABLE dresses, all in the favorite colors of the South! As well, they have accessories that will maximize your tailgating spirit such as state necklaces and bracelets! Another bonus? Use code ukcitybelles at checkout and receive 10% off your order!
So I am about the last person ever you should ask for money advice. Yeah, I bet you read that and were like “Okay so I’m leaving now.” But I urge you, stick with me! I have some tips that will actually help you save and earn a little cash! My problem is I just turn around and spend it elsewhere (ooopppppssss). In my four years of college I really have learned a few (keyword: few) real life tricks. Its hard when you’re in between paychecks and a nice trip to the mall for some retail therapy is all you really need. So here’s some non-typical (hopefully) ways to make and save money!
- Sell some of those clothes girl! — I took a tub full of my old clothes (think Aeropostale graphic tees) to Plato’s closet over the summer and made $54! Cha-ching! Even though frustratingly they don’t buy much from you, it’s always nice to get some cash flow for those items that haven’t seen the light of day in years.
- Bargain shop! — While I’m all about saving up for those designer pieces, I realize at this point in my life I can’t have nice things. Okay, I have some nice things. Okay, I have a decent amount of nice things. But I rarely buy those for myself. I have found the best shops online that allow me to buy trendy pieces for less! Also TJMaxx is my (and should be your’s) best friend.
- Sell your books! — Unless you want to save all your educational tools for who knows what, get rid of those unused books! If you have already tried your local university bookstore, go to Half Priced Books or Amazon.com and try there! I’ve been able to sell books from Freshman year recently for a pretty penny!
- Use your student discounts — Seriously they are everywhere! Places like JCrew Factory even give you the student discount on top of their clearance. This website helps you navigate all the discounts and find ones that fit your needs!
- Sell yourself! — No I am not advocating taking to the streets to pay for college but hey, if you do, then you do you girlfriend. A few of my friends have actually sold plasma at a cool $50 a visit. While the thought of going through that makes me squeamish, I can see why it is so appealing to some people. Sitting for an hour or two watching TV for 50 bucks? Yeah, it does sound pretty nice. Plus you are helping people! Look around at your local hospitals or blood banks for a similar program!
What’s your favorite way to earn some extra cash? Or do you have a way to save some? I would love to hear them!
Hello all my lovely readers! I am so sorry it has been so long in me posting but I have the MCAT coming up so I am studying hard! I thought I would do a list of summer essentials with a twist: they must be eco-friendly! When I set off on this journey (because trust me it’s harder than you think) I never realized how many of my favorite things were NOT eco-friendly. It has inspired me to try to buy more products that are and I can’t wait to try them out! But below are the products that I currently have or desperately want for a successful summer!
1. Burlap beach bag from Thank Heaven Boutique. This bag is made from jute material which 100% biodegradable and is grown organically without pesticides! I have researched for a perfect eco-friendly bag and nothing seemed to fit my style until this one. How could I resist something so preppy and southern?
2. My Rainbow flip-flops. I could go on and on about how much I love these things. I wear them on the daily. No joke. Just check out my Instagram! They have arch support so you are comfortable in them all day long, unlike cheap flip-flops that are flat to the ground. The layers of the shoe are held together with special formulated environmentally friendly glue. Also the whole mission of the company is to prevent shoes from being discarded on beaches or landfills. It has a recycle program that asks you to please donate your worn out Rainbows so they can repair them and give them to people in need.
3. I realized I need a good water bottle being a summer camp counselor. Camelbaks are already known and loved and so they seemed like the obvious answer! In addition the Camelbak Better Bottles are made from BPA- free plastic! I have heard such great things about this bottle I can’t wait to pick one up!
4. BB Cream is a summer must-have! Its so easy to slap on before running to the pool or beach and gives you a little bit of color in the harsh sunlight. I just started using Physician’s Formula BB Cream with SPF 30 and I am in love. It hides all my blemishes and red spots while also smoothing and protecting my skin! It is found on EWG’s list of best moisturizers with SPF!
5. I am a bracelet fanatic as I have probably mentioned before. I have four Alex & Ani bracelets and I am ready to collect some more! I have this perfect summer accessory all ready and have paired it for a nautical themed outfit in this post. The awesome thing about these are they are made with sustainable materials like recycled copper and are made solely in the USA. No worries about sweatshops or unfair labor practices!
6. Finally what’s summer without a bathing suit? I love the retro meets modern feeling of this suit. Right up my alley. Plus the fun, bright print would look great on the beach or poolside! It is made by Naja, a company dedicated to eco-friendly products like bras, panties, and the Taylor Monokini swimsuit shown above.. This suit is made of 84% recycled PET, which is the material of which many plastic bottles are made. I never even thought that recycled plastic could be made into a suit!
I found out that none of the sunscreens I use are eco-friendly! I didn’t want to put one that was on my list because I have not used one and can not speak on the effectivity or other features. So if anyone has a favorite eco-friendly sunscreen and you want to share, I would love to try it out! Also anyone have a favorite eco-friendly summer essential?