As I sit in this adorable coffee shop in Lexington, KY, avoiding all the things I really need to do and the rain (oh the rain!), I thought I would finally give everyone a life update. It’s been awhile and I’m actually quite sad because blogging has been the one thing I really do 100% for enjoyment. Well let’s see… I graduated! WHOOP! Finally I may actually be considered an adult (though I don’t feel like one and am not sure when I will, thoughts?) I have moved back to Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati and am so happy to be back in my hometown once again. Unfortunately, I was not accepted into Medical School this cycle and while this has immensely disappointed me, I am not discouraged! I am currently volunteering in the hospital and have applied for research positions! If anyone is out there who has been in the situation I would love to hear your experience! I have come to find out that taking a gap year is far from unusual and is actually more common then getting in the first round! I am definitely going to blog about my journey to give encouragement to those who may be in my position or who are in the process of applying to med-school now!
Now for some fun. I went to Hilton Head Island for the FIRST time. For all you east coasters I know this is a SHOCK, everyone seems to go there, right? At least everyone in my area does. Anyway I loved it and it was such a beautiful vacation spot. I know we are going there next year and I would love some suggestions for restaurants etc. from you lovely people! Here are some photos of our day trip to Savannah:
Shirt / J. Crew (similar)
Necklace / Charming Charlie (similar)
Skirt / Versona (Similar and shorts)
Hat / Amazon
Sandals / Michael Kors
With March around the corner and spring weather making an appearance, all I can think about is the beach! Luckily for me I will be there in 3 short weeks! While I might be ready for fun in the sun, my wardrobe certainly is not. So I have compiled my favorite spring-break must-haves!
Obviously I love the palm print and am so excited it is sticking around for another year! This time I am definitely getting in on the trend!
Red // Anthropology
One piece // Anthropology
High Waisted // ModCloth
Halter Palm // Cupshe
I have included all of the essentials here: tassel, lace up, jelly and classic (Tory Burch duh).
Fringe // Target
Red Lace-up // ASOS
Jelly // Forever21
Tory Burch // Nordstrom
I don’t know about you but I am crazy about cover-ups! I might have one to match each of my bathing suits! I love the off the shoulder ones especially and will definitely be picking one up for my trip!
Lace // Nordstrom
White OTS // ASOS
Blue // ASOS
Tassel // Anthropology
Is anyone else going on spring break this year? What are your beach must haves?
Hello all my lovely readers! I am so sorry it has been so long in me posting but I have the MCAT coming up so I am studying hard! I thought I would do a list of summer essentials with a twist: they must be eco-friendly! When I set off on this journey (because trust me it’s harder than you think) I never realized how many of my favorite things were NOT eco-friendly. It has inspired me to try to buy more products that are and I can’t wait to try them out! But below are the products that I currently have or desperately want for a successful summer!
1. Burlap beach bag from Thank Heaven Boutique. This bag is made from jute material which 100% biodegradable and is grown organically without pesticides! I have researched for a perfect eco-friendly bag and nothing seemed to fit my style until this one. How could I resist something so preppy and southern?
2. My Rainbow flip-flops. I could go on and on about how much I love these things. I wear them on the daily. No joke. Just check out my Instagram! They have arch support so you are comfortable in them all day long, unlike cheap flip-flops that are flat to the ground. The layers of the shoe are held together with special formulated environmentally friendly glue. Also the whole mission of the company is to prevent shoes from being discarded on beaches or landfills. It has a recycle program that asks you to please donate your worn out Rainbows so they can repair them and give them to people in need.
3. I realized I need a good water bottle being a summer camp counselor. Camelbaks are already known and loved and so they seemed like the obvious answer! In addition the Camelbak Better Bottles are made from BPA- free plastic! I have heard such great things about this bottle I can’t wait to pick one up!
4. BB Cream is a summer must-have! Its so easy to slap on before running to the pool or beach and gives you a little bit of color in the harsh sunlight. I just started using Physician’s Formula BB Cream with SPF 30 and I am in love. It hides all my blemishes and red spots while also smoothing and protecting my skin! It is found on EWG’s list of best moisturizers with SPF!
5. I am a bracelet fanatic as I have probably mentioned before. I have four Alex & Ani bracelets and I am ready to collect some more! I have this perfect summer accessory all ready and have paired it for a nautical themed outfit in this post. The awesome thing about these are they are made with sustainable materials like recycled copper and are made solely in the USA. No worries about sweatshops or unfair labor practices!
6. Finally what’s summer without a bathing suit? I love the retro meets modern feeling of this suit. Right up my alley. Plus the fun, bright print would look great on the beach or poolside! It is made by Naja, a company dedicated to eco-friendly products like bras, panties, and the Taylor Monokini swimsuit shown above.. This suit is made of 84% recycled PET, which is the material of which many plastic bottles are made. I never even thought that recycled plastic could be made into a suit!
I found out that none of the sunscreens I use are eco-friendly! I didn’t want to put one that was on my list because I have not used one and can not speak on the effectivity or other features. So if anyone has a favorite eco-friendly sunscreen and you want to share, I would love to try it out! Also anyone have a favorite eco-friendly summer essential?
If you are wondering, I did make up the word collegers and yes I like it. It sums up the people I mean quite nicely. Sorry post twice in one day but my roommates and I made this list and I know others would enjoy it. We looked everywhere on the internet and NOBODY had made a list. Thats just crazay in my opinion. So here it is:
- order food in a foreign accent/language
- steal an article of clothing from a frat boy and wear it to the beach the next day (we had a specific fraternity we were vacationing with but I suppose this could be any group of boys)
- shotgun a beer (yes we hadn’t done that before)
- kiss a random boy (you can’t know him!)
- make strangers do our school cheer (C-A-T-S)
- dance on table tops
- kiss a bouncer
- reenact a picture from last spring break
- take a body shot (or get one taken off of you)
- kiss a gay guy
- bong something on the beach
- and if you are frat boys who are a little overzealous about their team, get 40-0 tattooed on your a**
As my twelve year self would say,
PEACE (just kidding I still say that),
Currently I am laid back, swaddled in a accumulation of blankets, watching the NCAA tournament, like any college girl of the SEC should be doing that has any sense. This being said, I am in a position that is in stark opposition to that of a couple days ago. Like so many others of my cohorts I was recently enjoying the paradise (subject to interpretation) that is college spring break. This year my friends and I made the 15 hour drive down to Fort Myers beach to enjoy a week of sun and debauchery. After spending the duration screaming to Britney Spears and Destiny’s Child we arrived without someone killing another (trust me, that is a surprise). Funny enough, K’s mom told me to not kill anyone on the trip. Only me. I must have a bigger bitch face than I thought. I am sure anyone who is packed in like sardines with 3 other diva sorority girls can feel me. But let’s talk location. Fort Myers is straight up one of the most beautiful beaches I have been on, once I could overlook the Frat boys passed out around me like slightly breathing mounds and the thong bottoms (side note, seriously what is up with those things? I do not see your naked bottom flapping around no matter how nice it is.) And oh my sweetness was it hot! Yes! So much better than PCB or Daytona. BUT we could not find nightlife anywhere. I am saying I stomped up and down the little boulevard in my wedges and sundress barging into every tiny place that looked like it might serve food and play music and there was NOTHING. I mean they did serve food, drinks (good ones), and play music but not exactly what I was looking for. All I wanted was my neon bracelet that would pair so nicely with my bangles and manicure that would claim my dedication to hitting every nightclub and desire to dance on tables. Trust me we made our own fun, but really who wants to work that hard on Spring Break?